No annual recap is complete in this day and age without a look at all the random singles you downloaded all year long. This week I offer you fifty songs, ten per day, that I discovered in 2008. The tracks range from the 50s through 2008—and one from 1928—from country to psychedelia to tropicalia to calypso to indie, and probably a few things in between. I should also take a moment to thank Paul at Setting the Woods on Fire and Brendan at the Rising Storm, who were easily the source of most of the songs you'll find here this week. Hopefully you're already reading their blogs regularly.
If you're reading this post in your RSS reader, I'm obliged to point out that I do have a convenient little mp3 player on my site—just press play, minimize the window, and go about your business. Let me soundtrack the next hour or two of your day. (The player will hit every mp3 on the site—this post and every post from last week too.)
Here are the first ten. Enjoy and keep coming back all week. Thanks.
- The Millennium: Prelude/To Claudia on Thursday (1968)
- The Eloise Trio: Island Woman (1956)
- Fugiya & Miyagi: Knickerbocker (2008)
- Silver Apples: Lovefingers (1968)
- The Clean: Tally Ho
- Jose Gonzalez: How Low (2007)
- Scott Walker: Mathilde (1967)
- Dillard & Clark: Out On The Side (1969)
- Joel Alme: The Seven Islands (2008)
- JP Haynie: Wyoming (2008)